The project had an element of UI/UX design to it, and that made it really fun for me, because I loved thinking of ways to make my project more user-friendly. I thought of what I expected a feature to do in my project, and what feature I would find useful to add. For example, the “find similar” button was an example of a feature I thought would be useful when a user finds a particular result interesting and wants to see more media regarding it.
A page illustrating the "find similar" button.
Being able to modify the HTML and CSS also gave me freedom to flex what I’ve learned from my design hobby. I tried to keep things very minimal and functional but definitely didn’t skimp on adding some flair. For example, how the search bar underscores green when you click on it, or how an image slightly enlarges and darkens when you hover on it. Being able to combine computer science and design was one of the big reasons this project was enjoyable to me and how happy I am with the final project.
This was the first real successful project I’ve done where it’s very dynamic. By that, I mean code I usually write for projects ends up outputting a number or several numbers, and it’s run on the terminal, etc. I could show it to someone, but they won’t really understand the impact until I explain the results. This project was different, because I could show it to someone, and they’d immediately understand the significance of what I’d done, and what my project is supposed to do, etc. It was also fun and interesting to see users could type in something that I hadn’t thought of before and I would see some new media I hadn’t seen before. It had functionality that I couldn’t immediately see. The reason for that though is just because it relies on NASA’s media database.