James A Rosen
Software Engineer in CA, USA, he/him
What could your engineering team do better if they had access to a Staff Engineer? Are engineers asking for mentorship and career advice? Do you need an extra pair of eyes on the design for breaking a service out of your monolith?
How could I help in 2 hours a week? In 20?
Fractional staff engineer: digital transformation, system design, coaching
Web Dev: front-end, back-end, full-stack, platform
Fractional staff engineer: digital transformation, system design, coaching, web application development, platform engineering
Key technologies: TypeScript, React, Remix, Astro, Redis, Tailwind, Cloudflare, Fastly Compute@Edge
Full-stack, full-lifecycle holistic software engineering to help solve the climate crisis.
- Gardening Week (lead): a once-per-quarter opportunity for self-directed work to pay down technical debt and prorotype new technologies and features.
- Request for Comments (lead): a process and working group to evaluate technological choices. Example topics: CDN providers, geolocation API, Docker, centralized secrets store, feature flags.
- Digital transformation, CDN (principal engineer): identified selection criteria; evaluated vendors; led prototypes and negotiations. Edge caching reduced page-load time, decreased bounce rate, increased revenue. Edge compute enabled the ecommerce engineering team to safely migrate users to a new mobile experience.
- Engineering career ladder (major contributor): Created Everlane's first formal career ladder. Defined key technical-, communication-, emotional-intelligence-, and leadership skills for each engineering level. Used the ladder to promote equity and inclusion; guided two reports to promotions within the first year.
- RBAC (team lead): improved customer security and enabled sales to larger enterprise customers.
- TLS management (team lead): built a self-service TLS certificate management system. Enabled more customers to easily secure their traffic; reduced sales-engineering time to configure large accounts.
- Design System (principal engineer): established a UI component library shared by all Fastly products, whether Ember-based or not.
- UX team (founder, team lead): onboarded and coached a team of junior developers, some of whom were in their first software-engineering role. One-on-one and group training in agile development, Ember.js, and systems engineering.
- Digital transformation, UI (team lead): Migrated the primary Fastly UI from Backbone to Ember.js while adding testing, monitoring, and usability and design enhancements. Enabled faster, more confident customer onboarding.
Key technologies: Ember.js, Ruby, Rails, SCSS, SVG, VCL, HTTP
- App Market (principal engineer): Enabled the community to extend the capabilities of the Zendesk platform and integrate it with other services, expanding the reach of the product without commensurate development and maintenance costs.
- New Zendesk (major contributor): A redesigned experience targeted for high-volume customer support teams
with Ember.js. Significant contributions to customer research, prototyping, development, and maintenance.
Key technologies: Ember.js, Ruby, Rails, MySQL, jQuery, SCSS, HTTP
Working with Napa neighbors to reduce speed and improve the safety on our residential streets.
empathy, ux, front-end, performance, universal design
ux, process, how groups think, metacognition, meditation
Ember.js, modules, addons, collaboration, Conway's Law
Ruby on Rails, Rails Engines, SOA, monolith, Conway's Law