Product Designer in Portugal 🇵🇹 / Remote 🌍
Hi, I'm Hugo! 👋
I'm a digital product designer with over 7 years of experience working with Prezly, a SaaS company transforming PR and media relations. Originally from Portugal, I began my career in industrial design but found my passion in digital experiences.
My journey includes founding EzyCities, developing "workshops in a box" at Workshoped, leading design at Infinitebook, and designing websites for Nomad Legacy. Additionally, I freelance from "My Super Studio" (my home desk), helping companies like Newton.ai, Picma, and Winio.io improve their online presence.
I also maintain a blog on Medium, sharing my work and interests. My story is a mix of pixels, trial, and error, and a passion for creating exceptional designs that users love.
- Conducted user research to identify areas for improvement, leading to successful wireframing and prototyping of new features.
- Led small developer teams in project execution, ensuring adherence to high-quality design standards.
- Designed and implemented site themes, adopted by over 70% of users, resulting in improved user engagement.
- Contributed significantly to the overhaul of plans and upgrade features, increasing upgrades by 6%.
- Started and fostered the creation and adoption of a Prezly's design system
- Conducted user research and collaborated in designing comprehensive user experiences.
- Created engaging social media content, newsletters, and copyright materials to bolster brand awareness.
- Worked with a diverse clientele including retail, healthcare, e-commerce, and real estate sectors.
- Collaborated with companies like Sandra Ribeiro, Stock Off, MRolo, and Zero Waste Travel to deliver tailored design solutions.
- Founded Workshopped, a spin-off of Ezycities, as an online shop selling “workshop boxes” with materials and instructions for learning new skills at home.
- Successfully led Workshopped to growth, culminating in its acquisition in 2020.
- Pride in the continued success and growth of Workshopped post-acquisition.
- Spearheaded the creation of new notebook editions and covers at InfiniteBook, driving product innovation.
- Developed engaging social media content and newsletters for InfiniteBook.
- Designed custom web pages catering specifically to special campaigns.
- Played a key role in conceptualizing and launching the “Genius” collection, one of InfiniteBook’s most successful product lines.
- Launched EzyCities as my first venture into entrepreneurship, leading a team of 6 in building an online platform for booking homemade experiences.
- Gained invaluable experience in design, managing all design aspects of the platform.
- Secured investment from a Dutch fund and earned a nomination for a United Nations award in Portugal.
- Though the venture did not succeed, it provided invaluable learning experiences and insights.
- Participated in an immersive workshop alongside expert tutors and industry professionals.
- Gained insights into product management, analysis metrics, and methodologies for developing user-centric digital products.
- Completed a UX/UI Design course involving practical projects and prototyping.
- Fine-tuned design decisions through hands-on experiences.
- Attended theoretical classes, workshops, and sessions with guest speakers, enriching my UX/UI design skills.
- Undertook an Industrial Design course that evaluated learning through hands-on projects, formal tests, and exams.
- Participated in Portfolio Weeks, presenting work to a jury and receiving constructive feedback.
- Developed vital skills in exhibiting work, delivering presentations, and communicating ideas effectively.
- Pursued an Artistic Specialization, focusing on building visual culture and critical creative thinking.
- Specialized further in Product Design, honing aesthetic, communication, and creative skills.
- Mastered creating 2D and 3D projects with an understanding of materials and execution processes.
The story behind the design and development process that brought Prezly users the ability to overview and self-upgrade their subscriptions.
A behind the scenes look on the revamp of Prezly’s 7-year-old Media Galleries feature! Check out how we made it even easier for users to upload, sort, and show their media assets!
Don Norman coined the term in 1993, but there’s more to the story. Join me on a journey from Paleolithic tools to the future of UX, exploring how enhancing lives and experiences has always been the goal!
Every designer has their own set of tools that they use daily to complete their work. This is mine.